Saturday, April 9, 2011

Review: Die For Me

Die For Me (Revenants #1)
by Amy Plum

Hardcover: 352 pages
Publication Date: May 10, 2011

My life had always been blissfully, wonderfully normal. But it only took one moment to change everything.

Suddenly, my sister, Georgia, and I were orphans. We put our lives into storage and moved to Paris to live with my grandparents. And I knew my shattered heart, my shattered life, would never feel normal again. Then I met Vincent.

Mysterious, sexy, and unnervingly charming, Vincent Delacroix appeared out of nowhere and swept me off my feet. Just like that, I was in danger of losing my heart all over again. But I was ready to let it happen.

Of course, nothing is ever that easy. Because Vincent is no normal human. He has a terrifying destiny, one that puts his life at risk every day. He also has enemies . . . immortal, murderous enemies who are determined to destroy him and all of his kind.

While I'm fighting to piece together the remnants of my life, can I risk putting my heart—as well as my life and my family's—in jeopardy for a chance at love?

My Review / Rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was my first zombie book and I have to admit I've never liked the idea of them. I mean, zombies? No offense to anyone who likes them, but they've just always creeped me out. I decided to give this a chance and I'm glad I did. All in all, I did like this book. It was fast-paced and written in a way where the story just flows. I also appreciated Amy Plum's use of vocabulary. Glad I read this on my NookColor because the built-in dictionary feature came in handy!

I only had a couple small problems with this one. Vincent and Kate's relationship for starters. I felt like their whole relationship was really rushed and not that well developed. I didn't really understand why they liked each other so much. I guess it was just a case of "instant love" that some books suffer from. Vincent also uses the word "obsess" in part of the book to explain his feelings and maybe it's just me, but  I found that creepy. Then there was the plot. Every book has a conflict. It's that climax that the whole story builds up to. I didn't really notice that the conflict was missing for awhile because I was getting caught up in the story, but about 3/4 of the way through the book I started to wonder, "where is this story  going?" The conflict did finally come, but only to be resolved about 30 pages later.

These weren't deal breakers for me - just things that I noticed. I really did enjoy reading this one. Its premise is completely different than any other paranormal book I've read. This story's definitely more romance driven and I'm not complaining. Looking forward to reading the next installment!

6 comments:

  1. Too bad about the conflict. The story would be better if it comes earlier! ;) I still like the premise and I'm going to give it a try. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really curious about this one, since I've been wanting to read it for some time now.

    I hate when the conflict feels like it's never coming. I'm glad it wasn't a deal breaker for you.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cover looks good! I tend to get annoyed when the conflict is introduced too late in the book, then to be resolved in the next couple of pages...4/5 rating is pretty good, so I'm guessing it wasn't THAT bad. I'll be putting this book in the to be read pile ;) Great review by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate "instant love" in books. It's like the relationship has no substance, which is really annoying. Great review though :) I'll have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one reminded me of Hush, Hush and Twilight. I don't know if the revenants are really "zombies" but they do cut it close. :) Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi new follower here
    i heard this is a must read
    http://lightskinlady21.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...